In case you haven’t noticed, World Book day is almost upon. Here is my very easy and most favourite chocolate biscuit recipe with a little Gruffalo twist.
115g Caster Sugar
225g Self raising Flour
2 tbsp (tablespoon) Cocoa Powder
1tsp (teaspoon) Vanilla Extract
50g Flacked Almonds
Pre-heat your oven to 180oC and grease a baking tray.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together until well mixed. Add vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour and cocoa powder. It should now be thicker than a paste but more sticky than a dough.
- Roll into small balls (you should be able to make 16-20) and place them spaced out on your baking tray (you may need a couple of trays depending on size). Push down gently with your fingers so they are a little less ball like and more biscuit like (you can see the ridges in the picture). These do spread in the oven so don’t completely flatten them.
- Now it’s time to add the claws. Take 3 flacks of almond and put them into the front of the biscuit. Repeat until you have ‘clawed’ all of the biscuits.
- Bake in the oven for 13-15minutes. When they come out, leave them to cool for 5 minutes before moving to a wire cooling rack. They need time to set slightly. If you try and lift them off too early, they will crumble (if they do crumble, they make a really nice crumbly ice-cream topping, so it’s not the end of the world!).
There you have it. Your own Gruffalo Paw Biscuits!